Sunday, June 23, 2013

#WAAPA YEARBOOK #3


So now you all know how I got my nickname we can move on.

The very next day after that barbecue it was day one at Waapa.

Now for those of you who aren't aware, WAAPA is part of Edith Cowan University at its Mount Lawley Campus. So not only was there much to learn about the Academy, there was also a lot to learn about the university as a whole.

But the first week was known as O Week, short for orientation, and I remember attending a meeting in the Theatre with most of the new students across the whole campus. This was where a student leader of some sort was talking to us all to enthuse us about uni life. It was also the first time we heard the term ECU 2002 where U and the 2 were drawn out in rhyme. I still remember the first and last sentence of her speech too so it certainly made an impact but mostly for its simplicity. "Are you ready for some fun?" or something along those lines.

I must admit I never went to Waapa to have fun, I mean it was never in my mind that i went all that way just to have some fun. I think I should have listened to that girl closer though and adopted that philosophy more because I realise that I very rarely go anywhere or do anything with the intention to simply have fun. There's always a greater, deeper or serious purpose that i tend to focus on. Well I decided to change that now and lets see if it brings better results :-)

Anyway in O Week our class of 18 got together for real for the first time and we all had to sing for each other our songs from our Waapa audition. It was a strange thing to have to do as it was done in a really tiny room that we squashed into. I was always paranoid my songs were not contrasting enough and looking back they did sound very familiar in style. One was "With Anne on My Arm" from La Cage Aux Folles and the other was "On The Street Where You Live" from My Fair Lady. The class was very encouraging to each other but i guess we were also sizing each other up at the same time. I always thought my voice was my strength and that acting and dance was what needed the most improvement. But i realised that day that my voice was pretty ordinary compared to those others and for some reason it matters to you that others may be better than you at your strength. It was unnerving and something that I needed to overcome. I'm not sure i was ever successful at that :-)

This all culminated in the O Week concert for first years and we all had to sing one of these songs for the rest of the students and faculty. On the Street Where You Live became my song and we were arranged in order to perform. It was quite nerve wracking but the atmosphere was electric. I remember us all pacing and warming up in the adjoining room to the music auditorium and hearing the audience having fun chanting and cheering and when we came out they erupted in support. I think it was the highlight of the whole first year as you don't perform as part of the course in first year, with some exceptions of course. When I was singing my song I can remember being conscious of the thought that the crowd was very quiet. They were smiling and listening but it had gone so quiet that I thought I must be terrible. To try and get a reaction I decided to do a very poorly placed, and tasteless groin thrust into the song on the words 'overpowering feeling' and of course it got the desired result, they all laughed and I felt better in the moment. Though in hindsight that was a cheap and tawdry attempt at acceptance :-)

That pretty much wrapped up O Week and the climax was an outdoor party called Lark in the Park and it was a very well earned beverage for all involved. After that weekend it would be time for classes.
So that Lark in the Park also kicked on, sadly and possibly fortunately I can't remember that one. :-)

J G S

No comments:

Post a Comment